Book list for an 11-year-old girl

As promised, here are the books Ella has read so far this year.  None of these books have been assigned to her; they've been chosen by her at the library or from our home library. (Note: some of these she's read before and have shown up on other book lists I've posted.)

The Good Master by Kate Seredy

Will Clark, Boy Adventurer* by Katherine E. Wilkie
Ruby Throat: Story of a Hummingbird by Robert M. McClung
Rachel and the Riot by Susan Martins Miller
Casey the Utterly Impossible Horse by Anita Feagles
Abandoned on the Wild Frontier by Dave & Neta Jackson
The Tinker's Daughter by Wendy Lawton

Labrador on the Lawn by Lucy Daniels
The Striped Ships by Eloise McGraw
Pup at the Palace by Ben M. Baglio
Heidi's Children by Charlies Tritten
Annie Henry: Adventures in the American Revolution by Susan Olasky
Two Dogs and a Horse by Jim Kjelgaard
West Against the Wind by Liza Ketchum Murrow
George Washington: Our First Leader* by Augusta Stevenson
The Wind Blows Free by Loula Grace Erdman
The Boxcar Children Beginning: The Aldens of Fair Meadow Farm by Patricia MacLachlan
Helen Keller: From Tragedy to Triumph* by Katharine E. Wilkie


Neil Armstrong: Young Flyer* by Montrew Dunham
Louis Braille by Margaret Davidson
The Happy Orpheline by Natalie Savage Carlson
The Children Who Stayed Alone by Bonnie Bess Worline  [Ella's note on this one: "a great book"]


The Long Winter, Little Town on the Prairie, These Happy Golden Years, and The First Four Years, all by Laura Ingalls Wilder  (I wonder how many times Ella has read this series?  ~smile~)
Clara Barton* by Augusta Stevenson
Emily Makes a Difference by JoAnn A. Grote
Five Smooth Stones (My America) by Kristiana Gregory
Betsy-Tacy, Besty-Tacy and Tib, Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill, Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown, all by Maud Hart Lovelace
In the Land of the Big Red Apple, On the Other Side of the Hill, and New Dawn on Rocky Ridge, all by Roger Lea MacBride
Little House in Brookfield, Little Town at the Crossroads, Little Clearing in the Woods, and On Top of Concord Hill, all by Maria D. Wilkes
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott


Martha Washington* by Jean Brown Wagoner

* * *

*the starred books are all from the Childhood of Famous American series, which Ella really enjoys. 

Her filler books, when she doesn't have a book to read and wants to grab *something* at the library are The Boxcar Children books and some from the American Girl Collection.  I haven't listed those here.

Previous book lists I've posted:
Book list for a seven-year-old girl
Book list for a nine-year-old girl
Book list for a ten-year-old girl

12 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for taking the time to post these lists! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Wendy. I think of you each time I compile them, because you always express your appreciation! Blessings to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. As always, thank you for compiling this and sharing it with us! Eliana's file on my desktop is getting quite bulgy with book lists for girls! :)
    p.s.- that copy of Little Women, illustrated by Tasha Tudor? My hubby bought it for me for Christmas!!!! I keep finding Eliana sitting on my floor, paging through to enjoy the beautiful pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Elise!

      ps- I adore that copy of Little Women! I have two copies of that book, and the other one is illustrated by Barbara Cooney (1955), so it's difficult to choose which is more delightful! Ella chose the Tasha Tudor copy of the two.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful book list!!! My boys have read a few of these, but I know that my oldest daughter, an up and coming reader, will enjoy these books in the next few years - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great book list. My 11 year old daughter has read many of those, but it looks like we have some new titles to add to our library list! I've never seen a copy of Little Women illustrated by Tasha Tudor or Barbara Cooney. As our paperback copy is falling apart, I need to look for a new-to-us copy. I read Little Women last year, and I look forward to my daughter reading it. Is this version unabridged? I wasn't sure if my daughter would be ready for the unabridged version just yet. It can be hard to find good books for young girls---thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara!
      Yes. Both versions I own are unabridged.

      I had waited on Little Women- wanting her to read it at *just the right age* to appreciate it to its fullest. I had been thinking 12 would be the perfect age but when she was looking around for a book to read one day I handed it to her and told her to try it. She loved it!

      Delete
  5. Hooray! Who doesn't love a great book list?! :)
    Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! Our daughters have similar tastes in reading, so this is going to be so helpful to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.