Resolutions. But not REALLY.

I don't officially make New Year's resolutions.  Or at least I don't call them that.   I do like to reflect on my habits and try to make some changes.

IMG_0610
The list from my journal is below, with notes made in italics for how these things are going, nearly a month in:

Read my Bible exclusively (no books this year, except homeschool-related) 
Oh boy.  This one is really, really hard.  I really miss reading.  Especially in the bathtub.  :)  And also in bed before I go to sleep.  The up-side is that I think I am picking up my Bible more, and I'm definitely journalling more, and praying more, too.  It's a little alarming that it hasn't even been an entire month and it's been this difficult, and I did spend a good deal of time trying to talk myself out of this whole idea of mine.  And yet.  I really believe that good fruit will come from this, and I don't want to miss out on that.  So I persevere.... :) 

Pray that I would live by the Spirit, keeping in step with the Spirit (Gal.5) 
This has long been a prayer of mine.  I am trying to be intentional about studying and praying through this Galatians passage and also Romans 8.  I really want to learn to be attuned to His voice throughout my days with the kids; that I would surrender my authority (reactions, responses) to HIS; and that I would be keen to it when I'm not.  Does that make sense?  So that's been my prayer.

Monitor internet time (20-30 minutes/day... set timer? add internet log onto my clipboard?) 
I am terrible with this.  I have really loved it when I have done this.  Set a timer, it goes off way before I feel ready, and I get off the computer.  Such freedom.  But I miss reading books so much that I find myself wanting to read MORE on the internet, which is exactly the opposite of the point.  I have good success when I write down ahead of time what I want to do that day, online: check email, look up recipe/pattern on Pinterest, check Facebook.  Then I'm purposeful about where I go and it helps me not to wander around online. 

Resume exercise (at least 20 min/day, every day but Sunday) 
At the end of October I tore my plantar fascia.  For anyone not familiar with that, the plantar fascia is a strip of tissue at the bottom of the foot that extends from the toes to the heel.  It's painful when that tears.  The doctor told me to keep "immobile" and stay off my foot.  (I laughed.)  I haven't been able to exercise in a few months, and that's been a sad thing.  Not that I love exercising, but I have learned that it's good for me, not just physically, but mentally.  But walking was out, as was jogging, which is what I was doing, along with 30-Day Shred.  At the beginning of January I finally purchased a stationary bike and have been using that for 30 minutes a day for exercise.  So I'm back in a discipline of exercise, and am looking forward to being able to walk and run again... someday.

Send more cards of encouragement (including to Mark and the kids)
I think I am doing more overall, and I'm glad about that.  

Start saving change toward our 20-year anniversary trip 
There's now a jar on our dresser labelled  20 Years! that we're throwing our change in.  :)


Be grateful; practice a first-response of gratitude, not criticism or complaining 
I'm sure I will desire this until the day that I die.  I keep praying for this.

Be diligent in household tasks: see a mess and desire to tackle it; overcome it for peace in our home
I try.  I am tackling the laundry much more.

Eat healthier: use My Fitness Pal to keep track of calories for a season.
This is sort of hilarious because as I was making this list, I was porking out on BBQ chips ;)  Chips are my nemesis for eating healthy.  I can walk right past a plate of cookies or dessert and not EVEN be tempted, but chips?  I love. Sigh.  I have been tracking fairly regularly on MFP.

Set phone alarm for 9:45pm and go to bed earlier
This is sort of laughable, because that alarm went off for a few nights and I just turned it right off and we went to bed hours later, as usual.  Baby steps.  We have made it to bed before midnight a few times this month, and that, my friends, is progress.  

* * *


2 comments:

  1. oh, i so think we'd be friends in real life if we lived closer!! :) your list is SO relate-able. the internet thing? totally. for me, it's when i'm nursing ... and then i get sucked in to something (usually a great article etc) and yet my heart is sad thinking of this precious fleeting time with a nursing one that has been focused on my phone. ugh. i "fasted" from my phone (internet) last week for a day and felt really so free and less distracted at the end of the day. thinking i need (at least) a weekly fast.
    and exercise ... and food. those are always front-and-center goals and area of focus. i am thankful to have 2 of my dearest friends be my "accountability" partners; we text daily with our workout updates, food struggles, etc. it has helped so much! just this week, we started a little "challenge": eat only 3 meals a day, no snacks. and for me also, minimal gluten and sugar. the no snacking this is HARD. i didn't realize how often i "clean off" the plate of one of my babies - a few bites of waffle here, a piece of sandwich there. yowch. and no late night eating is hard, too. but here's what i know: hard is GOOD. it feels good to not give in to the temptations, to say a firm NO to that which isn't healthiest or best and strengthen that self-control "muscle".
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, Stacy, you really committed some lifestyle-changing habits. I hope you can accomplish what you have set before you. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.