Adelia walks

I think I went to sleep at 11:30 last night. By 2:30 I'd been up twice to go to the bathroom. Came back to bed after the 2:30 trip and could not get back to sleep.

Hence, it's now 3:37am and I'm wide awake. This is not good. I need my sleep. I have four young children in the house who will need an alert mama tomorrow, and it doesn't look like they're going to be getting one.

In the meantime, I'll just blather on here.

...About this cute girl:

{photo taken by Mike}

This past week, she learned to climb the stairs. You know, the I-can-go-up! stage (where she wants to try it every chance she gets), but I won't dare let her try it unless I am right behind her, because she hasn't learned the art of going down and we're not about to go there. (And yes, grammar-conscious people: I DO realize that was a total run-on sentence, but it's way too late (early!) for me to care right now.)

Then last night, she began walking. First six steps to daddy. And then for about the next hour she toddled around the room to various people: mommy, then Ella, then back to daddy, pivoting around again to mommy... I asked Mark last night: "Do you think she'll remember in the morning that she can do this?" [Secretly hoping that she would not.] And he laughed and said, "Yes. She'll have Ella reminding her." True.

As proud of her as I am for learning this newfound skill, these developmental milestones are hard on me. Especially this one. [And the no-more-bottles, which is surely next on her list.] It's just one more move towards independence from mommy, and I guess I like to be needed or something. She is my baby; she ought not be walking yet. Right?! She's eleven months old, for crying out loud.

But she was sure cute last night, pausing mid-stride to clap for herself, glowing under the cheers and claps from the rest of us. Ella called my mom immediately, and she came up, with Grandpa, to witness the big event. Adelia did not disappoint.

Now I'm wondering how this will change up our lives. Friends and strangers alike have pondered throughout my pregnancy- "I wonder if she'll be walking when the baby comes?"

Well, now we know.


[It's now 3:52. The battery on my laptop is running low, so maybe I'll give sleeping a try again.]

12 comments:

  1. Congrats on the achievement, but I feel the same way. Eli just started crawling (almost 10 months), and it feels a little like he is pulling away from me...growing up..sniff, sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... the milestones are really bittersweet, aren't they! I hope you got some sleep last night. I have often had that sleeplessness toward the end of my pregnancies as well, and it's so frustrating when you know how much you need the sleep! You are in my prayers, dear one!
    Love,
    Rebeca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Adelia! My little guy started walking about six weeks ago and I can't keep up! I don't know how you do it 9 months pregnant and with other little ones! You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take heart, I think it's easier when they start walking, just invest in baby gates. :) She won't have as much frustration if you are sitting on the couch nursing the new babe, she can just walk over to her toys herself! Good luck, many blessings, many naps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL "Do you think she'll remember in the morning that she can do this."

    I feel that way about all my kiddies....hoping they don't remember :)

    Oh and Ben is right there with Adelia and the stairs, only he's figured out how to get back down...and does it about 20 times every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn all this growing up stuff! I say we just put bricks on their heads. That's sure to stop it. ;)

    Good job, beautiful Adelia. And Stacy, I sure hope you were able to fall back asleep!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My, she's getting so big ALREADY! I hope you have the energy to keep up with her - and her siblings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, sorry for the no sleep...not fun at all. Thankfully for me, when I have a bad night, I have a most excellent 16yodd who is more than willing to give mom a bit more time in bed while she feeds the rest of the crew. I am so grateful for my young lady.

    Hurray for Miss "A". What an accomplishment. It is so hard to give up those baby days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the sleepless nights...no fun.
    You will have alot on your plate soon (not that you don't already) but grace will greet you every step of the way. And you will probably have a very messy house for a while :o) Wish I lived closer to come clean it for you. I just cleaned under my couches today for the first time since late pregnancy and let's just say "it wasn't pretty". But who cares, the dust just sits there but my kids change every minute of the day and I don't wanna miss it.

    Go Adelia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay precious Adelia!! They just grow too quickly, don't they? What a sweetheart she is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so much fun to watch it happen- after waiting and waiting, all of the sudden, there you are. What a cutie she is too!

    Praying you get some sleep. I think it's just *that* point in the pregnancy, poor girl! I think the last two or three weeks with my four, I've been the same way. Up, down, up, down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, I know that rush of sadness...the longing to keep them wee for just one more day, one more week, just a little bit longer.

    Your sweet Adelia is still a babe and needs her mama so...whether she toddles or is sipping from a cup, you are still her loving Mama- she will need you always and God will help you grow along with her.

    sending a hug and praying you get some rest.

    Kimmie
    mama to 7
    one homemade and 6 adopted

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.