My side of the bed

Here’s what I might be doing on any given night, (usually- in the wee hours of the morning) on my side of the bed:

-tossing and turning, trying to find a comfy, sleepy, sort of spot
-debating whether or not to look at the alarm clock to find out what time it is I’m awake this time
-replaying conversations in my head
-thinking about the following days activities
-making a grocery list
-wondering if I should just get up and GO to the bathroom already or if that would prevent with absolute certainty me going back to sleep
-making a to-do list
-trying to recall the dream I was having before I woke up
-trying to remember something
-praying
-analyzing some problem or another
-wondering if I should get up and peek at my sleeping children
-pondering our finances
-making plans

And here’s what’s going on from my husband’s side of the bed, always:

-sleep

Yep, that’s pretty much it. The second my husband’s head hits the pillow, he’s out.

Last night our four-year old daughter was up a few times during the night (bad dreams). The first time my husband went to her (he usually does the middle-of-the-night-wake-ups for the very reason that when I'm awake, it's hard for me to fall asleep again). But the second time my husband was sleeping so soundly that I got up, went into her room to comfort and pray for her and then came back to bed and… worked on the above activity list. (It was 4 am; I checked this time).

My husband did mumble as I came back to bed, “How is she?” and I gave a brief explanation- (mind you, it was difficult for me to be brief (I felt quite chatty, actually) since I was wide awake at this point). At some point during my description I noticed he was snoring. Snoring! Speaking one second, snoring the next. Unbelievable. I wish I had that gift. Not to snore, but to sleep. Must be nice.

1 comment:

  1. Apr. 25, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Rebeca
    This is soooo familiar!
    My husband can fall asleep in the middle of a sentence! And my mind does the same things in the middle of the night. Must be a Mama thing- do I really have to pee? I ought to check on the kids. What do I have to do tomorrow, etc.
    The Sleep Sweet tincture recipe from TOS magazine a while back really helps me. If you don't have it and are interested, I can email it to you.
    Blessings,
    Rebeca

    ***

    Apr. 25, 2006 - Why can our men always sleep?
    Posted by reformingmama
    The one I always battle once I get down a list like yours is:
    Maybe I should just turn on the light and read. If I'm not sleeping maybe it's because I don't need to. Or if I'm not going to sleep I might as well get some reading done.
    Silly feminine minds :)

    ***

    Apr. 25, 2006 - weird
    Posted by Fletch
    stacy...my wife linked me to this post. i think she is trying to tell me something...but you described us perfectly. i am worthless once i lie down (i have even tested how high i can count before i fall asleep...i never get higher than seven or eight).
    next time you are awake...feel free to email my wife.
    fletch

    ***

    Apr. 25, 2006 - You goose....
    Posted by Michelle
    if it is 4 am there, it is 7 am here....next time CALL ME and we can have an early morning chat!!!!! Ha!! and don't worry, if chad is still asleep...the ringing phone will certainly NOT bother his sleeping one bit!!!!!

    ***

    Apr. 25, 2006 - Rebeca, Amy, Fletch, & Michelle
    Posted by reformingmama
    Rebeca- Thanks for the tip on the Sleep Sweet tincture recipe. I may have to find that. I know I have it here somewhere…

    Amy- I have the same thought about the reading… but then I worry that if I turn on the light I will really wake Mark up. However, the probability of that is pretty much ZERO, so I ought to. What with the giant stack of books by my bed, that would actually be a very productive use of my time. When else do I get to read without interruption?!

    Fletch- That’s so funny! I can’t wait to have Mark try the counting thing. My guess is he’d make it to about 4. Though the drool starts at the count of 2, I think! What’s even funnier is when we try to pray together at nights (why we persist in this, I do not know). I begin praying and then a couple of minutes later say, “Mark! Are you sleeping!?” (He is, of course!)

    Michelle- You’re right. We could have an early morning chat. The problem is that I really do hope to go back to sleep, and I think any further official wake-up things like getting up to go to the bathroom, (or making a phone call) will completely nullify the opportunity. Please. Like I’d CALL you at 4am my time. IM is one thing (not that you’d be on…), the phone? Quite another.

    ***

    Apr. 25, 2006 - Tincture
    Posted by PreschoolersandPeace
    Oh please! Oh please! I need that recipe, too! Please email to me! kenj at fletcherdentistry dot com.

    ***

    Apr. 26, 2006 - Sleep Sweet Tincture
    Posted by Rebeca
    I noticed they have the recipe posted online at the Bulk Herb Store. You can buy the herbs there individually or premixed if you can't find them where you live.
    http://www.bulkherbstore.com/slst?id=ahJRtWHr
    Seet Dreams,
    Rebeca

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.