I wonder...

..what it means about me, these things:

1. I just ran to the store to get some milk. We were out. Or so I thought. Until I came home and put the two gallons in the fridge and saw that actually, there was a full.gallon.in.there.already.

Milk is the drink of choice in our home and there was only enough milk for one of my children to have a half-cup all day long. How could I have missed that gallon of milk?! It's not like it's a small item, a gallon of milk. And I spend probably a full third of my day pulling things in and out of that fridge.

2. So, I was at the store, getting the milk. As I set my gallons on the what-do-you-call-the-roller-thing-that-slides-your-groceries-towards-the-checker?, I remembered we'd recently gotten a new card from our bank. I thought, "Was that a new debit or credit card?" And then remembered it was a new credit card. Our debit card number was the same. So then, in an effort to be task-oriented and prepared, I thought to myself (oh, foolish me, why did I have to go and think this?!?):

"What is our pin number?"

And right then it was time for me to punch in the number and of course I had a complete lapse of memory and could not, for the life of me, remember my number. After embarrassingly punching in random numbers, twice, to have the checker indicate that I needed to enter my pin number yet again, a very-flustered-me got out my credit card. I mean, REALLY. I only use my debit card every other day. I KNOW that number. I also know that if I had absentmindedly approached the debit machine, I could have speedily punched in those numbers and been on my merry way.

Arghh. Should I mention now that the debit-card situation has happened to me before?

1 comment:

  1. Feb. 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Anonymous
    We love milk here too and I have done that before. My favorite is when I go to put it away in the cupboard. Must be a "mom brain." :)

    Wendy
    swbbm.blogspot.com
    Permanent Link

    Feb. 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Rebeca
    I'm that way with numbers I know well too- if I have to stop and think about it my mind seems to go blank. I guess it's part of how God created us as Moms so that we can do many things at once!
    Rebeca
    Permanent Link

    Feb. 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Anonymous
    Oh, Stacy. *sigh*
    Aren't we too young to doing things like this? I just did the same things (yes, bought more milk when we already had some, and forgot my debit number) and I just wonder what happened to the busy girl that could stay up all night playing games with friends, and still work 8 hours a day on very important policies at the insurance agency I worked for.
    Now, lose a couple hours at night and I'm like warm jello, sliding all over the place. Oozing.
    (((hugs))) to you!
    Permanent Link

    Feb. 8, 2007 - You're not the only one who does this!
    Posted by momco3
    Last month I went to the store to pick up some fruit (we go through it so fast!) and realized I didn't have my wallet. I had my emergency $20 in my pocket, so I put back half our fruit and paid with the cash. That night, I went to Costco for the real shopping. Hlfway there, I realized I'd forgotten my membership card, so I went back to get it. Once in line at Costco, I remembered they don't take my bank card, and I didn't have my checkbook. LOL
    I think that was a day I wasn't supposed to go to the store!
    Annie
    Permanent Link

    Feb. 8, 2007 - You have no monopoly on this one, sister!!
    Posted by Michelle
    Several times recently this has happened to me:

    I am talking to someone on my cell phone (usually Chad or Carrie) and I am multi-tasking....I am cleaning, or shopping, or getting dressed, or whatever....and I have my neck all creaked over to keep the phone pinned between my shoulder and my ear...and then as I am chatting along I realize that my cell phone is not in my pocket or purse where I usually keep it....so I keep on chatting and start looking for my cell phone....SERIOUSLY....sometimes for an extended period of time, even making trips into multiple rooms, or emptying my purse!!!!! only to realize the dumb thing is between my ear and my shoulder, AND I AM ACTUALLY TALKING ON IT!! seriously! Very scary, I think!!

    =)

    Take comfort.
    Permanent Link

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.