God's list

I began Thursday with a full TO DO list:

-clean living room
-straighten basement
-clean bathroom
-straighten upstairs bedroom
-clean out craft cupboard
-fold laundry
-get fingerprints done for adoption
-pick up groceries for dessert
-make dessert for small group
-make dinner

That morning as I looked over my list, I prayed not only that God would give me the strength and time to accomplish all of the items on my list, but also that He would help me recognize His purposes, and that I would be more concerned about accomplishing His "list" for me than my own list.

As the day progressed I worked hard to get through my list, but I was also mindful of His promptings, and He faithfully and gently challenged my plan on many occasions.

For instance, when two of my children were fighting in the living room as I was washing dishes, I wanted to holler from my position at the sink for them to stop fighting.
He wanted me to set down what I was doing and go to them, and patiently instruct.

When Ella was helping me load the dishwasher and it was taking FOREVER, I wanted her to go play so that I could just get it done.
He wanted me to take the time to teach her how to load it, to praise her for her hard work, to work alongside of her. He wanted me to be patient.

When we went to do our fingerprints and the woman standing behind the desk was discourteous, I wanted to call her out on her rudeness to us. (And I did.)
He wanted me to apologize. (And I did.)

When the day ended there were items on my list that remained undone. But I am so pleased that there were items on His list for me that were accomplished. And the thing about His list? It's so much richer than my own. I know that's a big "duh", but I was struck afresh by the fact that His ways are kind, unhurried, loving and patient.

It is my prayer that every new day I will have the discernment to recognize the items on His list for me, and that I will joyfully obey.

15 comments:

  1. Unhurried.Unhurried.
    Why do I think I am forever racing time? Makes me crazy. I like this twist on the to do list. I love your prayer.
    Hit me right where it needed too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, Stacy. Practical and inpsirational.
    My prayer is that I could be like that *every day*. Very hard!! :)
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post reminded me that our ways are not His ways and how much we need His grace everyday.

    I always appreciate your posts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this Stacy. My Mother-in-Law often reminds me of the verse that says "As your days, so shall your strength be." He will help you to do all the things HE asks of you! How hard it is to not try to do a lot of other things though, and then get so tired and frustrated when we can't accomplish it all. I love this little section in our morning prayers because I SO need this each day.
    Bless you,
    Rebeca

    O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace, help me in all things to rely upon your holy will. In every hour of the day reveal your will to me. Bless my dealings with all who surround me. Teach me to treat all that comes to throughout the day with peace of soul and with firm conviction that your will governs all. In all my deeds and words, guide my thoughts and feelings. In unforeseen events, let me not forget that all are sent by you. Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering and embarrassing others. Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring. Direct my will, teach me to pray. And you, yourself, pray in me. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Stacy. I like how you mirrored your list with God's list. He often has such a different idea for our days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacy, your posts always seem to hit me right in the heart! I started today with a loooong to do list, and it has some unchecked items that I really wish I had gotten to. So I appreciate this exhortation to "joyfully obey!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great example and reminder! I can let my to do list rule my world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Stacy! Great reminders. Thank you, sweet friend. One of my favorite stories that my mentor shared with me is that when her son was little, the thing he most liked about his grandpa is that he never said, "hurry up". Very thought-provoking for us "get it done" types of mamas, is it not?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Lord has been teaching me this. He wants me to see the bigger picture, not be so concerned with just "getting it done". This is a great reminder, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "..so much richer than my own..."

    wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you e-mail me where you got your fingerprints done at? I went to the police station up here and they only do them something like.... every other Tuesday at 7 am and on Thursdays at 2 pm except some Thursdays they switch with the sheriff's office and they're closed the 3rd Thursday of the month and you have to make an appointment and all the appointments are taken today and Thursday and they don't have 2 appointments in a row except for October 7th and they only do digital for inmates, yada, yada, yada.... you get my drift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this. And He is so patient when our list takes precedence - and so good to whisper to us...
    Thank you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! What a great perspective to keep...
    As always, enjoy your children,
    ali

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely and edifying post! I enjoy (and am comforted by) hearing the inner-dialog of other women purposing to follow a holy God in this tragically mortal state.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just finished reading "Stepping Heavenward" by Elizabeth Prentiss, and your post today is the main lesson I learned from that book. God's will before my own. OH! How challenging that is! Thank you for posting your day - it was truly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.