Refilling the Copywork Jar: quotes and poems

Ella's Copywork Jar is just about empty, and she's already gone through the "No copywork today!" and "Mommy will do your copywork for you today!" slips of paper I added to buy me some time... ;)

I've spent the evening refilling it, and here are some of my favorite contributions:

"It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will."
~L.M. Montgomery

"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet."
~L.M. Montgomery


"A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.
"
~A.A. Milne

Oh! But my *favorite* A.A. Milne quote I found tonight was this one:

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?"
(Winnie the Pooh)

And this, a poem Mark found:

Trees

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.


~Joyce Kilmer

And this one:

Morning Prayer

Now another day is breaking,
Sleep was sweet and so is waking.
Dear Lord, I promised you last night
Never again to sulk or fight.
Such vows are easier to keep
When a child is sound asleep.
Today, O Lord, for your sake,
I'll try to keep them when awake.


~Ogden Nash

8 comments:

  1. Love them all! And the tree poem is beautiful. Such thought-full parents are sure to raise a very thoughtful girl! Great example to me in my parenting, and oh how that quote about deciding to enjoy whatever is in front of me stung in truth with me! Off to *ENJOY* some housecleaning now! (A cheerful heart is good like medicine, right? ;)

    Thanks for this great post, Stacy. BTW - do you have all the copywork you've done with Ella compiled somewhere? If you have it input into the computer, would love a copy! XO
    ~ Camee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trees is one of our favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the things you find for Ella's copywork! I'm inspired to do the same once my kids are ready for it.

    And I love the Trees poem... I picked that out at the beginning of the year for the kids to memorize this spring. It's beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeww, thank you so much. These are GREAT!

    I just added a few of these to my son's copywork choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could seriously not be more encouraged by your Stacy! Catching up after a crazy few months... and almost in tears with encouragement from you. Thankyou for faithfully writing and encouraging and inspiring. I wish we could pool all of our 9 children into one place and enjoy some tea together! Totally stealing your copywork jar idea and probably most of this list as well! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camee~
    Oh, Cam.. I pray so. (For a thoughtful girl!) She is so far! :)

    I'll try to post more of our copywork selections! I can easily go through Ella's binder and copy them here. :)

    Big hugs to you and your boys, friend!!


    Sandi~
    Isn't it GREAT? Loved it when Mark discovered it for us!


    Jodi~
    Oh, I should SO have my kids memorize it, too! I'm a huge slacker in the memorizing-poetry part of schooling. [Slacker as in: We've NEVER, ever done this, even though it's been a goal of mine for about three years running.]


    LeAnn~
    Oh, I'm so glad they were of use to you! I'll post more when I have time. She has some other good ones, too!


    Kristen~
    Oh, thank you so much for this comment, Kristen! You are such an encourager. I really, truly appreciate your sweet words. Sometimes I think I should throw in the blogging towel altogether, and it's comments like yours that encourage me to continue. Thank you. (Oh, and I would positively LOVE to pool our kids together and chat over tea. Wouldn't that be fun!? :))

    Blessings to you all!
    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have I told you how thankful I am for you? I think I will continue to "borrow" so many of your ideas as our children get older... LOVE the quotes and especially the poems. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, *thank you*, sweet Colleen! You're so kind. :)

    Love you!

    ~Stacy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.