The End

*2006 post*

I was flipping through my journal the other day and realized it has been nearly a year since I gave up watching TV. I say 'give up' because I was pretty sure God wanted me to stop watching TV, but I fought it. I sort of liked my shows. I spent some time trying to negotiate. You know- How about if I give up the shows I don't really care about as much? The ones I won't miss as much? Or I'll record them so I'm not a slave to the TV schedule. But I'll only record SOME. Or, Maybe just for a season. I wanted to hold onto it.

And yet, stronger than my desire to watch my shows was my desire to obey my God. Finally I relented and said, "Okay. If this is You, calling me to obedience in this, that's enough for me." And that was it. I haven't watched TV since. I mean, a few minutes here and there. And a Pittsburgh Steelers game with my husband from time to time. But, no more shows. And oh, has it been good. The absence of TV ushered in a hunger in me for more of Him. And that pursuit has been so much richer than any show ever. Obviously.

The TV screen no longer has a place in my life, but now there's another screen that beckons me. You know. The computer screen. Ours sits here in our living room (where we happen to do most of our living). And I like to pop in throughout the day. I really do like this blogging thing. I like writing. I like the comments. I like to read other blogs. I like to glean ideas and tips and recipes and resources from so many of you. I like the comraderie. The like-mindedness of so many of you in the blogosphere. All of these virtual friends I've made. :)

And yet. The question on my heart again and again has been this:

Is blogging a pursuit that God is pleased with in my life? I'm not sure what the answer is to that. And in all honesty, I think I've been afraid that if I really asked, I would find that yes, indeed, God would have me cease doing this (He's a jealous God, after all) and I don't want to give it up. And so I've kept blogging. And lately I find myself going into negotiating-mode once again. I'll just be more disciplined. I won't post every day. This is a good thing, right?

I have learned much here. Have I given much? I don't know. Is this activity in my life glorifying God? I don't know. I would hope and pray so. But I simply don't know.

And. The question remains. Is this pleasing to God? It gives me pause. Last night and today, I feel this nudging to lay it down, to set it aside. I'm not entirely sure that God is saying, "No, Stacy. No more blogging." I'm not nearly as convinced as I was about the TV-thing. That was kind of a no-brainer, but this? This is a good thing. But a good thing can also be a distraction from Him.

Paul and Timothy wrote to the church in Colosse:

"We pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God."

That is my heart. To live a life worthy of the Lord. To please Him in every way. To bear fruit in every good work. To grow in the knowledge of Him. Oh, that is my fervant prayer. I want nothing to distract me from that pursuit.

That, more than this.

And so this will be my final post. Because if God is calling me away from this and closer to Him, I want to obey.

But I do plan to see what you're blogging about, Kendra. (And if I'm ever in California, I just may knock at your door. I mean, if I can find you. For a game of Settlers, you know. :)) And so many others... I will come and read and comment. Rebeca. Ann. Dana. Michelle. Linda. Joni. Jen. Stacy. Sandi. Ali. (Er, so I'm really not leaving, after all! Nah... I am. But I will check in- maybe just on a weekly basis, though.) You, and so many others, who have come here to read and to comment. And you have written things that have encouraged me in my pursuit as a wife, mother and homemaker. I thank you.

I plan to keep pursuing and loving Jesus. And my husband. And the little flock He has entrusted to me. Those things I KNOW are pleasing to Him.

ps- Can I just say that I feel a little choked up over this? (And a bit teary, even.)

1 comment:

  1. Sep. 28, 2006 - You will be missed!
    Posted by Sandi
    Stacy,

    I will miss your thoughts, ideas and honesty. BUT I totally understand why you are doing this. I think you are wise. Now you've got me really considering this no TV thing. Did your husband stop with you?

    Anyway.....take care and thanks for glorifying God in your life even though it wasn't easy! What is good doesn't always feel good!

    See you around
    Sandi

    ***

    Sep. 28, 2006 - Sob.
    Posted by PreschoolersandPeace
    Sigh. Oh, I will miss Reforming Mama. But yes, you are welcome at our home anytime, and the Settlers will be out on the table ready to go. I must warn you, however- our 13yo plays a mean game.

    I'll pray for you two whenever you come to mind.

    Kendra

    ***

    Sep. 29, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by kjfairch
    I will miss your blog- it's one of my favorites! I know you will be blessed by following God's will for you.

    ***

    Sep. 29, 2006 - Ouch!
    Posted by Dana
    That doesn't feel good! But alas I understand. You and Amy started blogging about the sametime I did. I have loved getting to know you both. I have been encouraged in all ways. Now, if you come see Kendra you have to come see me (we are in the same area you know!). I'll save a bag of walnuts for you.
    Yes, come comment when you can - to hear from you will make me smile!
    I will be praying for you and your family as the Lord leads.

    ***

    Sep. 29, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by jengresak
    Allow me a few moments of selfishness here. WAAAHHHH!!!!!!! Okay, now that that's out of the way I want you to know how much I will miss my daily stop here. God gave you a gift for writing, and I hope you find another use for it. Please do keep visiting me. After all, I turned my music off just for you -lol!

    Blessings,
    Jen

    ***

    Sep. 29, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Anonymous
    Sorry to hear you will no longer be sharing your stories, wisdom and growth with us! I found your site through Kim C. and just found it again. I was sad to see Amy left too! Which one of you is expecting?

    Great on the no tv! My husband and I did that three years ago. We only watch movies we own -- but we did just recently buy a tv series! Not sure where I stand with God on that one. Giving up the daily tv watching was so much easier than I thought it would be! More free time to read with kids!

    May theLord continue to direct your path as you lead your littele ones in their walk theLord!

    Letisha
    www.rcsnickers.blogspot.com -- not thatyou don't have enough friend blogs to check out!

    ***

    Sep. 29, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Corin
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! The woman who encouraged me to begin blogging publicly is leaving?!?!? Say it ain't so!

    Well, I do understand. May God bless you as you follow His will for your life!

    ***

    Sep. 29, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by TNLisa
    blessings to you and your family...press on! - Lisa

    ***

    Sep. 29, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by genamayo
    Hi Stacy,
    Thank you for being so honest and for listening to the Lord. I often feel frustrated that I can't blog or read other blogs as often as I'd like, but then I suppose it would be too much!
    --Gena

    ***

    Sep. 29, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Rebeca
    Stacy,
    I'm sad to see you go, but I'm glad that you're doing what you need to do.
    We have lived without TV for most of our marriage and I'm so glad. I don't miss it a bit. But I agree that the computer can so easily take it's place, and it's easier to justify when the things I do on the computer are "good" things. It's way too easy to just run over to check my email- every ten minutes.
    May the Lord bless you and your family as you pursue Him. I know He will!
    And I'll look forward to hearing from you once in a while.
    Many blessings,
    Rebeca

    ***

    Sep. 29, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by momco3
    Praise God that your heart was quiet enough in His presence to hear His direction in this (and no, I don't mean your hearing aid!) I have so appreciated your thoughts and encouragement.

    Bless you and yours as you continue to follow Him with all your heart.
    Annie

    ***

    Sep. 30, 2006 - Dear Stacy
    Posted by AussieinAmerica
    I was so sad to read this. I will miss you. You are a person I truly wish to know in real life! I think we would be great friends!!
    Anyway....I do know where you are coming from. I respect your love for God and hope you always follow truth. You have really encouraged me and convicted me over the last few months. Thank you for sharing yourself with us.
    On and end note.....I have been meaning to tell you that I tried the "lie juice" idea on my daughter! I gave her a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.....and she threw up!! She thinks lying is VERY bad!! lol! Well, I didn't tell her that I wouldn't give her the vinegar again (I'm trying to think of something else)....so she is wary of telling any untruth! She says, "I know lying is really bad beacuse mommy gave me that stuff!!" Too funny!
    Oh...I also wanted to tell you that my husband and I are talking about adoption again...after a little set back..I'll post about it on my blog if it ever comes to fruition (which I hope it does). Thanks again for sharing your adoption story. It really touched me.
    Take care.
    Stacy - Aussie in America

    ***

    Sep. 30, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by mike
    honestly I didn't think that you'd be able to keep up the pace that you've been doing since Amy stopped. I tried to tell Amy the same thing, but you guys both have an all-or-nothing mentality abou this blogging thing. I think it's easy for things like this to become an idol of sorts in one's life, but when done in moderation it can be a powerful outlet that The Lord can use to amplify the considerable wisdom that he's gifted both you and Amy with.

    Obviously you need to do what the Lord has called you to do, but consider carefully the wisdom of moderation.

    ***

    Sep. 30, 2006 - Mike
    Posted by reformingmama
    I know. Moderation is the key. The same word has come to my mind as I've considered this. Because moderation is exactly what I struggle with. Even when I'm not sitting at the computer, I'm mulling over my next post or an idea. It's such a distraction from everything else.
    You're right, though. I am (and Amy, too) very much an all or nothing type person about things in general.
    But I do plan to keep this this blog here and maybe after a month or more away, I can come back with some moderation? Not sure. I don't know that this is permanent.
    We'll see. Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement.
    ~Stacy

    ***

    Sep. 30, 2006 - I ditto Mike's comments!!
    Posted by Michelle
    This is what I was trying to say on the phone to you...but Mike said it so much better! Especially this part ...."done in moderation it can be a powerful outlet that The Lord can use to amplify the considerable wisdom that he's gifted both you and Amy with. "

    I hope that after a little time, the Lord will draw you back to this blog...to encourage and equip other Christian moms (like me!!)...you defintely have a gift in that area...one that I am not sure you fully realize.

    BUT having said all of that...I know that there is MUCH wisdom in the decision that you are making at this time...and I know that your heart is (now and always) to obey the Lord.

    Of course you are ALWAYS welcome to be a guest blogger on our blog!!!!!

    ***

    Sep. 30, 2006 - Not you, too!
    Posted by Pomaleedon
    I'll miss you, too! Keep your ears open for God's blessing to return to your blogging!

    ***

    Oct. 2, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Joni
    What?!? I leave for a week of vacation and you decide to QUIT writing your blog? Mercy sakes, I must vacation no more! =) Seriously, Stacy, I am sad about your decision to stop blogging for now. I do hope you'll reconsider, but understand your desire to follow God wholeheartedly in obedience. I was just telling one of my ministry leaders last week, when it comes to people's approval or God's -- you must follow Jesus. Your desire to do so WILL be fruitful!

    I too, struggle with moderation in all things. So, I definitely understand your issue there. I have found that in the past when I have willingly laid down something I that I wanted so badly in the past, God allows me to have something even better.

    Case in point: I was a Creative Memories consultant for years, finally aspiring to be a leader in the company. I was close to my next level of leadership, the one I had set the goal of reaching, when I felt God nudging me to quit. I didn't really know why, but knew He really wanted me to stop. I was really using my business to share Jesus, so I was confused as to why He would ask me to stop. Now, I know why. I am the leader of a large ministry at my local church. The ministry consisted of 10 women when I started and now serves around 120 women. God knew back when He asked me to quit Creative Memories that I could never do both! He knew that He was going to grow the group at church. And He had a better plan for me. His plans for you are great too!

    I'm just sad that I won't get to hear your thoughts every day. Yours is honestly the only blog I read everyday (when I'm not on vacation that is!) I feel that you and I have become "friends" of sorts in the blogosphere, so I'll miss that. Please do stop by and comment. And please keep praying. This might only be a break for a season. I know you have certainly challenged and encouraged so many women from your blog - me being just one!

    Lovingly,
    Joni

    ***

    Oct. 3, 2006 - I will miss you!
    Posted by Anonymous
    Stacy,
    I have been away from my computer for a few days and just read your post today.=( I am sad to see you go. You are such a marvelous writer and inspiring and insightful and wise. I will miss you but I understand your need to put this aside and follow the Lords call. God Bless you and your family.

    Ali

    ***

    Oct. 8, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by lindafay
    We need more people like you who will follow through His nudgings. You are an inspiration.

    blessings,
    lindafay

    ***

    Oct. 24, 2006 - boy, can I relate
    Posted by Mrs. U
    I surely can relate to this post!! I've been tossing around the whole TV thing and then I realized that the computer is probably worse than the TV in my life. I LOVE blogging, though, and I've learned SO VERY MUCH for reading others' blogs!!

    I am praying. And I'll be enjoying your blog in the meantime.

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ***

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.