Rejoicing

The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name."

He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightening from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

~Luke 10: 17-20


I am ashamed to say it, but as I reflected on these verses this past week, I realized that I take this precious truth for granted.

Jesus tells us to rejoice that our names are written in heaven. How often am I joyful over that fact? The Greek word for rejoice is chairo, and it means: "to rejoice exceedingly". (Which begs the question: When was the last time I rejoiced exceedingly over anything?) But this. How often am I celebrating His lavish gift of salvation with exceeding joy? Not often enough.

I've asked God to imprint this truth afresh upon my heart. May I delight in His gift of salvation. J O Y ! My name, Stacy. Written in the book of Life! God has reserved a spot in heaven for me. He has rescued me from death. He has invited me to be with Him-- for eternity. My life here on earth is but a breath; it is that short. But heaven? An eternity.

A refrain has been in my heart these past few days. And a number of times I've just had to burst out in song. It's the beginning of the chorus from a song by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir. (I wish you could hear it with me, because these few words don't quite do this exuberant song justice.) Nonetheless, here they are:

Hallelujah! I am saved!

1 comment:

  1. Jan. 29, 2007 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Anonymous
    Amen, Stacy! Thank you for the beautiful reminder!

    ***

    Jan. 29, 2007 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Anonymous
    Oh, I wish I could remember. That was me, Elise, as usual, from www.mamahooper.blogspot.com.
    :)

    ***

    Jan. 29, 2007 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Michelle
    A big YIPPPPEEEEE to this one....certainly something that I take for granted way too often.

    I am thankful that my name is written in permanent ink!

    ***

    Jan. 29, 2007 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Anonymous
    Good words. I have been thinking much lately on joy, and I do want my life to be marked by it.
    Bless you,
    Rebeca

    ***

    Jan. 29, 2007 - rejoicing over and over ;-)
    Posted by Kimmie
    Hi Stacy;

    As I was finally catching up on your blog and what is going on with your family, I was reminded of something Shane our "soon to be adopted" son said. We have been praying and asking God if he has a new name for Shane (and his brother and sister who will also be adopted out of foster care). -well, we had discussed it with the kids and explained how God had given our two other adopted children new names when they joined our family-and that we were praying and listening carefully to hear the Holy Spirit. Well precious little Shane (3 years old) said, "Yes, Mama, God has a new name for me and He will give it to us tomorrow. It is coming down from heaven to me." AND Praise God- it did ;-)

    Rejoicing greatly-for salvation and for God blessing our little ones with his special names for them! How wonderful that God has special names he will give each of us-what an awesome Father!

    ***

    Feb. 1, 2007 - Hi there!
    Posted by dawilli
    Excellent post! It is sad, but true, that we can so easily go through a day without rejoicing at all, let alone exceedingly, over our salvation... what a great reminder! Thank you!
    enjoy them,
    ali

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.