Three things

Last week I had a difficult day with the kids. It was so evident to me that each of them were falling into the sins they are each prone to. I am very familiar with them, those sin patterns.

For one child, it's whining, inattentiveness, and a slothfulness-- especially when it comes to obeying right away. For another, it's tattling, and a sly way of stirring up trouble with his/her siblings. As well as a tendency to argue and give excuses. For the other, it's a bad attitude. A very strong temper. Anger.

As I journaled about these things, a few things struck me:

One. The fact that these things have flared up in them in such a way that they did last week reveals a lack of diligence on my part. (Don't you hate that? I mean, yes-- I can attribute it to their fallen nature. But it also points glaringly to my lack in reining them in.)

Two. As the mama of my children, I know them. I see their strengths and their failings very clearly. And I believe this window God has given me into their lives comes with a great responsibility. A responsibility to be faithful in prayer for these areas.

Three. And the most obvious, of course: I have the same problem. I, too, continually fall into the same patterns of sin. James 1:14 says, "..each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed." I have my own areas: my pride, anger, impatience, unforgiveness, and my tongue, to name just a few off the top of my head.

I need You, God. Will you strengthen me to be diligent with them? Give me wisdom from your vast supply. Equip me so that I may parent them as You desire me to. Fill me with Your tender, gracious spirit for my children. May I be poured out for them. May I die to myself and allow You to reveal Yourself through me to these You have entrusted to me. And, Lord? Remind me to pray for them; for these areas of sin in their lives. Even a quick prayer, at the time of correction, with them in my lap. Transform me into Your image. Continue to shape me and change me. I want to please You, God. I want my days here with these little ones to bring You glory and honor. May it be so. In Jesus' name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Jan. 30, 2007 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Rebeca
    Praying that prayer along with you! Bless you as you raise them for His glory.
    Thanks so much for your prayers.
    Rebeca

    ***

    Jan. 31, 2007 - So true!
    Posted by Sandi
    I have been seeing a struggle with whining here too...in my three year old. Umm and it is because I am not being diligent to address it. Thanks for the "hello Sandi!".

    I always appreciate your honesty and openess about "real" life. Thanks for being honest about your own sin and pursuit of godliness...it is refreshing!

    ***

    Jan. 31, 2007 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Anonymous
    How true. I had to watch myself the other day. I bought a brand new container of fabric softener. It happened to fall on the floor and the lid crack. Half of the bottle poured onto the laundry room floor! Oh I was mad! I did not want to clean it up! I thought, okay, I can either not do school and clean, or clean what is necessary right now and then do school. So we sat at the table to do school and I felt Satan fighting in me. I wanted so badly to give in and not do school, whine, get mad, and etc. But instead I prayed and explained to my children how I felt, what I was struggling with, and going to let the Lord win in my heart and not Satan. I was so thankful the Lord gave me the strength to exemplify this in my children's life. Just wish every day or every moment I let God win! Sorry this is long. Just saying that what you said is true. I too appreciate your honesy in your writing. I am praying along with you...

    Letisha

    www.rcsnicers.blogspot.com

    ***

    Jan. 31, 2007 - Thank you for your honesty
    Posted by Anonymous
    Thank you Stacy for this. I just cried tonight after putting the littles to bed for just these reasons! I have not been diligent to correct these same sins in my children and mostly myself. I love reading your blog!

    Blessings,

    Dawn

    ***

    Jan. 31, 2007 - for commenter Dawn
    Posted by reformingmama
    Dawn--

    Thanks for commenting! I think you've commented a few times before. Do you have a blog somewhere so that I can "get to know" you?

    :)
    ~Stacy

    ***

    Jan. 31, 2007 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Michelle
    amen to that. and that. underline that part. put a star there. jot in the margin on the part about my diligence.

    seriously, girl.....write a book. my computer screen is going to be a mess if i keep having to make notes on it like i do in my books!!!!!!

    an awesome post!

    ***

    Feb. 1, 2007 - hi
    Posted by dawilli
    Beautiful post- you're right, you know your children. That, in itself is a blessing! Think about how many parents (I dare say most) out there don't really know their children... they don't spend enough time with them to really know them...
    Your post has me thinking, about the individuality of my children's problem areas, I tend to lump them all together, they're all just little sinners... but there really are individual problem areas that need to be addressed individually...
    Thanks, once again, for your insight, I love the way another mommy's experience so often shines a light on my own,
    Keep on keepin' on,
    and enjoy them,
    ali

    ***

    Feb. 1, 2007 - re:commenter Dawn
    Posted by Anonymous
    Oh Stacy you are so kind to ask! No, I consider myself "pathetically blogless" at present, :) but I have seriously been considering it though (even DH has suggested it!). I'm mostly just a homeschooling Christian mom of 4 ages 3-10 who seeks along with her WONDERFUL DH to raise their children for the glory of God. I will try to email you with just a bit more. Thanks again for being so sweet to ask.

    Warmly,

    Dawn

    ***

    Feb. 1, 2007 - for Dawn
    Posted by reformingmama
    Well, you *are* a kindred spirit! I, too have a WONDERFUL husband and we are striving to raise our children for His glory! :)

    ~Stacy

    ***

    Feb. 1, 2007 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Anonymous
    Being diligent, constistent. Yes.
    Parenting is as much about training us as training the children, isn't it?
    I will pray for you in this, Stacy - for US!
    Elise - www.mamahooper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.