Adoption: Part One

*2006 post*

Many of you know that our youngest son (now 14 months old) is adopted from Guatemala. We ‘met him’, initially through pictures, a year ago this week. In light of that, I thought I’d take a few days and detail our adoption story.

How we began on this adoption journey is hard to define. Mark and I have always wanted to adopt. This is something we discussed even while we were dating, and long before we met, God had put put this desire on each of our hearts. After we were married and decided we were ready to start our family, we were in for a surprise: we didn’t get the luxury of choosing when we got to have our first child. We tried to get pregnant for 2 ½ years and were unable to. This was quite honestly one of the most difficult seasons in our lives.

However, that story has a happy ending. That period of infertility ended when we discovered that I was pregnant. And we had a little girl, and she is now 4 ½. Our second child was also a surprise and a miracle. We had a little boy, and he is now 2 ½. God is so generous!

Throughout this time, our conversations turned often to adoption. In fact, before I got pregnant with our second, we had decided that we would pursue adoption. Then God blessed us with a second pregnancy. After the birth of our second child, we sort of decided that we would go ahead and try for our third, and then adopt for our fourth. God had a different agenda.

One spring day I was driving and listening to the radio. There was a program on featuring an adoptive mother (who had a number of adopted children), and she was sharing their story. I can’t even remember exactly what she said, but as she shared she said that adoption was something her and her husband had always sort of talked about, too- and that they chose to be really purposeful in their prayers about it, trusting that this was something God had laid on each of their hearts, and entrusting it to Him and His timing. This really struck me. Here we were, “planning” and charting our own course (we’ll have another, and adopt after that), when we should be pressing in to God, and seeking what He wanted to do and when.

I came home that day and said to Mark: “We have to start really praying about this adoption thing! What if God would have us adopt NOW, instead of waiting?” And so we began a season of prayer, asking God what He wanted to do and how He wanted to build our family.

---

To read Adoption: Part Two, go here.

1 comment:

  1. Jun. 14, 2006 - That is so not fair!
    Posted by Dana
    I have to wait?
    (Yes I am whining. It is disconcerting.)

    ***

    Jun. 14, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by kevmem
    Thank you for sharing this with us, I've been wanting to hear all about it! I just love adoption stories. A close friend went to China to adopt their third child, who is now almost 6 and I couldn't imagine that family without her. Adoption is a wonderful way to
    build the kingdom of God!

    ***

    Jun. 14, 2006 - I love hearing it all again!!
    Posted by Michelle
    What a great idea to post your story like this in chapters! I have heard much of it...and shared some of it "1st hand"...but I can not wait to hear it all again! Praise God!!

    ***

    Jun. 14, 2006 - God is SOOOOO good!
    Posted by Sarah
    Stacy,

    I got all teary just reading the first paragraph! A year ago this week….Wow! Just reading this first chapter of your story reminds me again of how God is so gracious in his workings through adoption!

    ***

    Jun. 14, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by MicheleinNZ
    You can't leave us hanging!

    ***

    Jun. 14, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Rebeca
    I'm so glad your sharing this story! Adoption is a beautiful thing- I've always been interested in it but Erik istn' so much. It would clearly have to be from the Lord if we were to do it. (As it should be- I just mean at this point he wouldn't pursue it.) Anyway, I look forward to reading more!
    And, I tried your chicken recipe tonight and it was a hit. I couldn't find the seasoning either, so I put in some cumin, chili powder, and coriander, then some cilantro in at the end. Also, I served it with a quinoa, corn, and black bean pilaf and some avacado on the side. It was really yummy, and simple, both the kids liked it, and, this may be the best part- I didn't have to touch the raw meat! High scores all around from our house!
    I still need to try that soup recipe from a while back. (I don't remember if it was you or Amy that posted it.)
    Thanks!
    Rebeca

    ***

    Jun. 14, 2006 - For my sweet blogging friends,
    Posted by reformingmama
    Dana,
    I know...sorry! But I'd lose all of you if I posted it in one huge email- I'm wordy enough as is; it'd be way too long! :)

    Memry,
    Thank YOU for encouraging me to post our adoption story awhile back!

    Michelle,
    I sure love you, my friend! And I am so glad that we have walked this journey together. What a treasure you are to me!

    Sarah!!!!!!
    I love it that you left a comment! :) Huge smiles! I love you, my sweet friend.

    MicheleinNZ,
    Thank you so much for wanting to hear our story. I do love to share it.

    Rebeca,
    Thank you so much, Rebeca, for your comment awhile back (after I posted our family picture, maybe?) where you encouraged me to share our story.
    You know, I've heard that same scenario before: that the wife is interested in it but the husband isn't... yet. My encouragement to you would be to pray that if indeed this is something God wants for you, Erik, and your sweet children--that God would work on changing his heart. I've heard amazing stories about how this has happened! :)
    And, um... YOUR chicken recipe sounds like it puts mine to shame! Wow. As I'm reading the description of your meal, I was thinking, "Can I come over for dinner?!" Yummy! I'm glad it was a hit. Thanks for letting me know!

    Blessings to each one of you, and thank you for commenting!
    ~Stacy

    ***

    Jun. 15, 2006 - Oh, I can't wait to read more
    Posted by homekeeper4him
    As a fellow mom with two from Guatemala, I am excited to see that you are sharing your adoption story. I need to do the same on my blog. We are excited as God may be opening a door financially in the fall that could mean we could adopt from Ethiopia or Liberia next year. Keep us in your prayers. I know in my heart that our adoption journey is far from over.

    Tracy

    ***

    Jun. 15, 2006 - for Tracy
    Posted by reformingmama
    YAY!!! :) I'd love to hear your story, too! :) How old are your children? I feel the same way- that our adoption journey is not yet over. Lord willing (and providing!) we will adopt again. If we could squeeze them all in our home and afford it, I'd take 10 more!
    ...Stacy

    ***

    Jun. 15, 2006 - I'm with you!
    Posted by homekeeper4him
    I'd fill this house up with 10 more too. My daughter will turn 5 next month. We brought her home when she was 5 1/2 months. My son is 3 and we brought him home one week before he turned 4 months. We had a bumpy "ride" with our first adoption which I will have to share when I blog it.

    Tracy

    ***

    Jun. 15, 2006 - Hi Stacy
    Posted by AussieinAmerica
    This is already a beautiful story. I can't wait to hear the rest of it. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I have 2 kids and have seriously thought about adoption.
    Thanks for your comment over on my blog - I added you to my friends list too. I am looking forward to getting to know you.
    Stacy
    P.S. It is fun to know another Stacy - in Australia it is not a common name and if you do find someone with that name it is usually spelled Stacey.

    ***

    Jun. 21, 2006 - amazing
    Posted by homeskoolmom
    What a neat adoption story. Hubby and I also talked about adoption before we were married. In 12 years God hasn't blessed us with bio children, but so far our 3 precious adopted blessings. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story
    Have a wonderful day,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.