A delicious dinner idea

*2006 post*

Many of my recipes call for chicken: in salads, casseroles, and soups. In order to ready the chicken I have prepared it one of two ways. I either boiled it (then chopped it), or I diced it and ‘stir-fried’ it on the stove.

No more. I came across this recipe for making chicken about a month ago and it’s all we’ve done since. I cannot take credit in any way for this recipe. Although I wish I could; it’s that good. I discovered this way to make chicken over at Amy’s Humble Musings, but I’ve modified it a bit because I haven’t been able to find the seasoning she used.

So, here it is. It is so easy it’s almost embarrassing.

4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed
onion (half)
chicken bouillon (3-4 tsp)
fresh garlic cloves (we love garlic, so we use several)
olive oil

In the morning, add the chicken, bouillon, a halved onion, 1-2 cloved of garlic, and salt and pepper (to taste) to crockpot. Pour 1 ½ cups of water over chicken. Turn crockpot on high.

An hour before dinnertime, chicken should be tender enough to pull apart with a fork. Drain off all liquid from crockpot. Pull apart chicken with a fork. Add enough olive oil until moist. Add several cloves of garlic, stir in w/ fork. Leave in crockpot for another hour.

The original recipe can be found here. She suggests serving it with black beans, rice and sour cream on the side. And a bit of lime juice on the chicken. We've done this a few times and have loved it.

This is the only way I make chicken now. Each time we have it, Mark talks about it throughout the meal. It is so moist, so flavorful and so delicious. And each time we’ve had chicken elsewhere since, he’s comparing it to this recipe.

Try it. You won't be disappointed. And- your house will smell good all day with this in your crockpot!

1 comment:

  1. A couple of things:

    -The "in the morning" phrase might be too general for some. I generally have it in the crockpot for 6-8 hours. I try to put it in by 10 (sometimes 9), drain the liquid off at around 4 or 4:30, and then cook for another hour (sometimes less, depending on when we want to eat!)

    -I've tried this with pork, too, and it's just as delicious.

    -I've doubled this recipe and kept in the fridge for a few days for recipes later in the week.

    ***

    Jun. 12, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Rebeca
    That sounds delicious. I've wanted to use my crock pot more so I'll have to try this. And since fish was on the menu tonight- and said fish was in the big freezer that Peregrine left open for the past week- maybe I'll make it tonight!
    Rebeca

    ***

    Jun. 12, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by kevmem
    Hi Stacy, I'm hoping you'll say you didn't try Haggen for the Adobo seasoning and I'll go and find it there!!! We LOVE cuban food and LIVE on anything mexican or hispanic. I will be trying to locate this seasoning and trying this chicken dish this week. Thanks for the heads up on this one!

    ***

    Jun. 12, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Michelle
    I will be trying this ASAP! Thanks for the hints!

    ***

    Jun. 12, 2006 - Okay I'll admit that pork you made that way for us was phenomenal...
    Posted by Mike
    ... but it's hard for me to consider that chicken can be made better than the way I make it on the grill. Then again, there is something to be said for ease of preparation... We'll have to try this some time.

    ***

    Jun. 12, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by CTdittmar
    I'm going to try it. Sounds delicious! Can't wait! Christa

    ***

    Jun. 12, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by kevmem
    Hi Stacy,

    I actually found the Adobo seasonings today, and so I'll be trying this dish on Wednesday, can't wait to check it out.

    ***

    Jun. 12, 2006 - For those who commented...
    Posted by reformingmama
    Rebeca,
    I'm trying to use my crockpot more, too! It really is handy to throw stuff in and not worry about it for the rest of the day. As opposed to wandering around the kitchen at around 4, opening cupboards, the fridge and freezer... waiting for inspiration!

    Memry (am I spelling that right?),
    NO WAY you found that!!! I checked everywhere BUT there, apparently! Mexican is my favorite food-group, too. Post some of your favorite recipes, would ya? I'd love to glean from you! :) And do let me know how you like this.

    Michelle,
    ... But did you and Erica try the bran muffins yet??? :)

    Mike,
    Ha! I knew you or Amy would bring up grilled chicken. Well, we don't eat grilled chicken like you eat grilled chicken but I must say, that's good, too. Just good in a different way. Try this. It's easy and good. You could use a little variety here and there...

    Christa,
    Thanks for commenting. You'll have to post back and let me know what you think... We had it tonight and I must say, it IS good! :)

    Blessings to all of you,
    Stacy

    ***

    Jun. 13, 2006 - Will Try...
    Posted by Joni
    Animal pancake maker I am not, but I will attempt the crockpot chicken. My mouth was watering as I was just reading about it....I'll let you know how it turns out.

    Warmly,
    Joni

    ***

    Jun. 13, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Rebeca
    Stacy, Thanks SO much for the sweet words on my blog! I'm "virtually" enjoying some of that applesauce now!
    I didn't end up trying the chicken yet as we had leftoverls last night and tonight we're going out on a date (yippee!) but I will make it tomorrow.
    I went on the HSB main page this morning and glanced over the last 100 entries- there was an entry with your pancake story on it. Then, later, when I looked at it, it was in some phony script- you can check it out here- very strange! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/lhc0603/ Maybe some kind of computer generated thing?
    See, you already have people plaigerising you!
    Blessings,
    Rebeca

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.