Pancakes

*2006 post*

My children love pancakes. There are two pancake-makers at our house: Mommy and Daddy.

Mommy makes Practical Pancakes. They look exactly like you envision when you think of the word pancake. They are very, very basic. Round, cream-colored, and the size of a sand-dollar. Pretty simple.

Daddy, however, makes Animal Pancakes (this is where you learn who is really the most fun parent in our home). Animal Pancakes are just that: animal-shaped pancakes. He has this down to an art. He uses a spoon and some pancake batter, and creates these great pancakes.

Now, if it were my job to make animal pancakes you would be seeing a lot of worms and snakes (but I would be talking them up big; there'd be daddy snakes, mommy snakes, and lots of little baby snakes; it would be very fun).

But not my man. After all, snakes and worms aren't our kids' favorite animals! Daddy makes giraffes, elephants, alligators, panda bears, doggies, kitties, lions, and every other animal you can think of, really. He does it all. Not to mention that he also makes character pancakes. When our daughter loved Maisy: we had a lot of Maisy's, Charlie's and Talullah's at the breakfast table. And sometimes he makes little pancake representations of our children. (I'm telling you: he's good.) And he does alphabet letters, too. And spells out their names. And he adds food coloring. (Can you believe all of this?)




Today is Friday, and every Friday morning we have pancakes for breakfast. I know exactly how this will go. Mommy will say, "Pancakes for breakfast!" and they will all come running, happily, to their plates. Then I'll plop a Practical Pancake on each of their plates and there is this moment of silence as they stare at the perfectly-rounded sand-dollar-shaped, cream-colored pancake. And always, one of them will say, "Where's my elephant?" And then I have to remind them that daddy is at work; it's only daddy that makes elephant pancakes. (Believe me, when I realized I had this competition, I TRIED to do some animals. I was an utter failure.)

I really have had to step up my game around here in order to keep my standing as a viable pancake maker. At first I add a mashed up banana to the batter, but they rarely noticed that. So then I tried the food-coloring gig, but that just didn't cut it, because they wanted the "animal ones that are colored". So then I added chocolate chips. That was a hit. But we're not doing that every time. So I just continue making Practical Pancakes and while making, serving and eating Mommy's pancakes, we talk a lot about how wonderful daddy is that he can make the most amazing pancakes when he's home!

1 comment:

  1. Jun. 9, 2006 - I can attest to this!!!!
    Posted by Michelle
    I have seen those pancakes (and eaten them) first hand...and they are everything Stacy says they are!! Stacy, you can count on this....Mark WILL be making those pancakes here in Indiana...I might even invite the family, friends and neighbors over so that he can make a whole zoo-full of them!! =) I just know that Erica is going to want to learn this skill from you, Mark!!

    ***

    Jun. 9, 2006 - Untitled Comment
    Posted by Joni
    Man, those are some amazing pancakes! I'm very impressed that Mark made the Maisy characters. I think if my children saw those pancakes, they would definitely be very unimpressed with the whole grain eggos they've been getting lately! ;) Don't you love it when Daddy gets to be the hero. Good for you for celebrating him!

    Joni

    ***

    Jun. 9, 2006 - impressive
    Posted by MicheleinNZ
    Wow, those are some impressive pancakes! Makes my blueberry banana pancakes pale in comparison. I'll make sure not to show my daughter so she doesn't know what she's missing :)

    ***

    Jun. 10, 2006 - Thanks
    Posted by AussieinAmerica
    Thanks for your comment over on my blog. It was sweet of you to take the time to encourage me.
    These pancakes look great!! We will have to try them.
    I'll be coming back to visit - you have lots of great stuff over here.
    Stacy

    ***

    Jun. 12, 2006 - For those who commented...
    Posted by reformingmama
    Michelle- I forgot we had these when you were here. But of course, Mark was off... and he usually does make these when he's home. Mark would be happy to make pancakes for the Timmons family! You tell Erica to brush up on her pancake-making skills. And make sure to tell Chad to get busy making some homemade ice cream. You do know that's a given, right?! :)

    Joni- :) I had to smile at your whole-grain eggos comment. I didn't even know those existed!!! And yes. It is indeed fun to celebrate daddy as hero! :)

    MicheleinNZ- I have to ask: do you have a blog? I'd love to visit if you do! :) And I would LOVE your blueberry banana pancakes.. sounds yummy! :)

    Stacy- Thanks for posting here, too! :) I checked your blog again today!

    Blessings to each of you,
    Stacy

    ***

    Jun. 14, 2006 - not the creative one
    Posted by homeskoolmom
    Hubby is the creative one in our family too. Princess loves having Daddy comb her hair after shower because he uses funny voices, he also makes breakfast on Saturdays etc. I'm just to practical for all that.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love hearing from you, and I will do
my best to reply back to you in the comment section.